Tuesday 29 January 2013

Placement

Being a mummy is not usually about fast paced excitement or glamour.  And I struggle with that.  The weekly routine of play groups, chores and clearing up food.  It's easy to want to be somewhere else.  For me that's usually anywhere by myself with a good book.

Recently I read the story of the 4th century Bishop, Gregory of Nyssa.  His older brother Basil (himself a Bishop) arranged for Gregory to become Bishop of Nyssa and Gregory was not impressed.  It was an unimportant and obscure place.  Gregory wanted glamour and prestige.  Basil, however, told Gregory that he didn't want him to obtain distinction from his church but rather confer distinction upon it.  As Eugene Peterson writes, 'Gregory went where he was placed... [and] The preaching and writing that he did in that backwater community continues its invigorating influence to this day.' (Christ plays in Ten Thousand Places).

My home and the playgroups we attend are where I have been placed.  My choice is whether I merely tolerate them, or transform them into places where God is working and where I am being changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment