Wednesday 30 January 2013

Learning to let go

Recently I've been reading about the Sabbath.  Essentially taking time out from how you normally spend life so you can be still, focus on God and remember that the universe does not revolve around you.  This is not an easy thing to do as a mummy.  Yet even when I'm offered a chance to take time out, I still find it hard to let go.  I keep checking that my husband is doing things in the 'right' way with our son.

But then I read this: 'Sabbath keeping s a publicly enacted sign of our trust that God keeps the world, therefore we don't have to... If even God trusted creation enough to be confident that the world would continue while God rested, so should we.' Eugene Peterson

When my husband cares for our son, I often have an internal dialogue something like this:

"Does it really matter if our son goes out in an outfit consisting entirely of beige clothes?  No.

Will he survive for one day on a breakfast consisting of Weetabix made with too much/too little/no milk?  Yes.

Do I need to check every single nappy that my husband puts on our son?  No.  We own a washing machine."

It's important that I care for my son in the best possible way I can, but it's also important to remember that the universe doesn't revolve around me.  God's in charge.  And remembering that - through Sabbath moments -  is a great relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment